Tuesday 12 January 2010

Taganga aka Dog Town

We had all heard some good things about Taganga - a beach town on the north coast of Colombia. However I couldn't see quite what the fuss was about. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a horrible place to be and I guess it is very easy to get overly picky when you're see so many amazing places. We chose to stay there as most people apparently opt to go there instead of Santa Marta these days.

But how nice can a place be when it is practically being run by dogs?! Literally dogs. There are almost as many dogs in Taganga as there are people. And they don't trot around minding there own business as in most places. They loiter the streets in packs. They have formed gangs and hang around intimidating humans and other dogs looking to switch allegiances. They may as well have had flick knives and nun-chucks! I'm not exaggerating here and I don't have cynophobia - a phobia of dogs. On the contrary, I very much like dogs.

And while I remember, I feel compelled to warn anyone wishing to stay at the hotel Casa Blanca. On our first night when looking for somewhere to stay Sophie got rudely treated by the owners and their dog tried to take a chunk out of her bag. Nice. They could have just said they has no vacancies...

On a lighter note, if you walk 20min over to the next bay there is a lovely beach with plenty of deck chairs and places to buy a cold beer. Plus the sunset there is pretty special. Oh, and if you're into diving then I have it on good authority that Taganga offers great dives at a reasonable price. They are also in the process of building new footpaths and generally tidying up the place. They really should start with the stray dog issue though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment