Monday 8 February 2010

Banos - worse than I'd heard

The rain has probably dampened my impression, but Banos really is a bit of a let down. I'm not going to begrudge this part of the world some much needed precipitation, so I'll not moan about the rain itself.

What I will moan about is this town, if I may.  I guess I had high hopes having liked Quito so much, and especially so because you're not even supposed to like Quito. Perhaps I should have read up on this place a little more. And perhaps I have become obsessed by colonial architecture and when there isn't any, start to sulk!
The setting of Banos is quite magnificent though. You can see how it got the name, as the town sits in a basin surrounded by mountains with steep sides. There is even a waterfall cascading down on the northern edge of town like a tap! Or maybe it got it's name from all the thermal springs they have here... However it's a bit of a shame about the town itself. I realise I've been spoilt for lovely little towns set amongst mountains and canyons, but it is hard to get inspired by nasty half built and half painted concrete blocks.
It reminds me of what tourism has done for European holiday destinations such as Ibiza and Kos: nothing pretty. And like us Brits, it seems the Ecuadorians aren't here for the architecture either. No, no, they're here for a jolly good booze-up! Its nice to know we're not the only ones. Yes, it was a lively night last night, and one we'd have been better off joining in.

Banos is a popular weekend destination for those from Quito and surrounding areas. And, aside from partying all night, there are lots of activities you can choose: rafting, canyoning (a new one to me), horse riding, mountain biking. You can even annoy everybody and hire a quad bike! They're very loud. And what could be better than lots of noise?
I have to say that in this part of the world and in Latin America in general, they do like to make a noise. Car horns are the favourite, but in general as long as what you're doing is noisy, you're having a good time! Earlier I almost had my eardrum burst by a guy who walked past and whistled to someone ahead - the kind of whistle that requires a couple of fingers in the mouth. My ear is still ringing now! And they all have the same car alarm, that also doubles up as a horn. It's one that cycles through every car alarm sound you can think of. Highly annoying.

Anyway I'd better stop, before someone comments on my blog that people like me should stay at home! Can you tell I didn't get much sleep last night??

We're going to hire some horses tomorrow. I'm sure that will lighten my mood!

1 comment:

  1. An old post perhaps, but that car horn comment really got me. Was staying at a hotel in San Jose a few months back and there was a guy walking down the road hitting every car parked so its alarm would go off. He did this for three...damn....hours. Up one side, down the other, refreshing each alarm when it would time-out.

    No idea why he was doing it, but when I yelled at him he just waved and moved to the next car in line. I guess now I know - He was just having a great time! ;)

    ReplyDelete