Friday 5 February 2010

Quito - better than I'd heard

Apart from access to the infamous Galapagos islands, the equator and a million language schools, I hadn't heard many other reasons to be in Quito. Most people say that it is not that nice and you won't want to stay there long. Maybe it isn't a place to stay long term, but having spent a few days here I have found it really enjoyable and have not felt in any desperate need to move on.
For me the best thing about the Quito is the contrast between the new and old cities. The old city has so much wonderful architecture - those Spaniards knew what they were doing - and it seems around every corner there is a surprisingly fantastic view of buildings and streets with steep inclines set with a mountainous background. These colonial buildings really do look good. I've decided I want one!
In this part of the world it is very common for cities to have an historic district but I hadn't expected this one to be so attractive.
Then, when you've had your fill of aesthetically pleasing architecture, pop on the bus over to the new city. It isn't pretty and it is certainly geared up for the 'gringo' with all the bars and restaurants along the Reina Victoria. However, I didn't find it at all unpleasant and what could be wrong with a place that has all-you-can-eat sushi?
We decided it was about time to take some Spanish lessons. After four months of basic transactional speak, I feel desperate to talk about something other than the price of a bus ticket or how I like my steak cooked. Or, whether I want "carne" or "pollo" with my set menu - does anyone know why is chicken not classed as meat here? Beef, pork, lamb or even guinea pig is called meat. Chicken is chicken. Strange.
Anyway, the lessons are a lot of fun. There is an element of picking and choosing what you commit to memory though. Ecuadorians have their own slang and, I learned today, have a penchant for adding an extra few letters onto words. For example "un momento" is "un momentito". And I am called Robertito. Why? Because it is classed as a friendlier way of talking and to make it cute in some way. There are also words that you just won't hear outside of Ecuador. "Change" is "cambio" in most of Latin America, but here they say "sueltos" or "sueltitos", even! But I tried both when trying to break a $20 note and all I got was blank faces! Yeah, I'll stick to "cambio" thanks. It's going to be fun going to Spain after all this!
Finally, this evening we discovered a little area called La Ronda. It is a small street two minutes north of Santo Domingo square and has street music, crafts, art shops and cafes selling mulled wine etc. Another thing to like about Quito. I will go back there and take some photos to share with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment