Sunday 4 October 2009

Hola Mexico City!




OK, so I'd better get on with this blog then!

Despite suffering from a 17 hour flight, being given the run around by Continental Airlines* and the thin atmosphere - we're at 7,349 ft above sea level, no less - I've thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days here. I must add that I'm the only one of the two of us finding a lack of oxygen in the air hard going.

*see Sophie's blog http://vivalatinamerica.wordpress.com

The city has a very happy-go-lucky feel to it and the 19 million Mexicans that live in the greater metropolis all seem to get along just fine! There seems to be just about enough room for all of them - and the cars they drive. Its certainly a different style of driving they have here. I'm used to London driving, but this is something else. There must be an unwritten law that says that there should be no space between each car, no matter what speed you're traveling at. Breaking distances aren't welcome!

But we'll let them off as, after all, they use old style VW Beetles for taxis and the Fed Police drive around in mean looking Dodge Chargers. I'll try get a photo of one if I can be brave enough! I'll have to get onto Boris about getting some for our Met. They just look the business and must make a criminal think twice. Probably not great MPG though.

The streets are vibrant but not buzzing with the multiculturalism I had expected. We really stand out here and as a consequence get stared at a lot.

The city appears to have been designed very well and the roads are quite wide - the picture at the top is just a side street where we're staying. So hats off to the Spaniards. They must have known this was to become the third largest agglomeration in the world!

Lets go see some pyramids ....

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys, you made it! Miss you already of course but we'll get over it!! Photos look great and I second your recommendation for the Dodge Chargers in London. I would also add huge cigars and sombreros.

    All well here, absolutely nothing of interest to report. Give me a few days to work up some material!

    Take care amigos!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, I'm the first to follow your blog! bet you weren't expecting that! Good effort Sandifoot. (snigger snigger)

    keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete